With only 3 weeks until Christmas, the day will be on us before we know it.
Most people associate Christmas with lots of eating, drinking, and generally over indulging. We can give you a few tips that will hopefully mean less of the dreaded diet afterwards!
Clementines are a festive treat you can have without the guilt. Roast chestnuts are another, being very low in fat. These are a great way to snack healthily in between meals.
Here are some more festive ‘swaps’ you can do to try to limit the damage to your waistline and your health:
- Stop: mini pastry tartlet (45kcal, 3.2g fat).
- Swap: mini filo tartlet (30kcal, 1.5g fat).
- Stop: salmon and cream cheese bite (30kcal, 2.5g fat).
- Swap: salmon sushi bite (28kcal, trace fat).
- Stop: mini bhaji (64kcal, 2.8g fat).
- Swap: mini satay stick (34kcal, 1.6g fat).
- Stop: prawn toast (53kcal, 4.1g fat).
- Swap: prawn wonton (35kcal, 2.3g fat).
- Stop: 30g handful of ready salted crisps (155kcal, 9.7g fat).
- Swap: 30g handful of tortilla chips (147kcal, 7.3g fat).
- Stop: 30g handful of salted peanuts (184kcal, 15.7g fat).
- Swap: 30g handful of pretzels (114kcal, 0.8g fat).
- Stop: two cheese straws (100kcal, 6.4g fat).
- Swap: one large breadstick (25kcal, 0.4g fat).
- Stop: 100g luxury sherry trifle (235kcal, 17.5g fat).
- Swap: 100g satsumas in 15ml brandy (69kcal, trace fat).
- Stop: 175ml glass of pre-mixed Buck’s fizz (106kcal, 0g fat).
- Swap: 175ml glass of white wine spritzer, with 2:1 wine and soda water (75kcal, 0g fat).
- Stop: 175ml glass of red wine (119kcal, 0g fat).
- Swap: 175ml glass of mulled wine, made with 50% orange juice (111kcal, 0g fat).
- Stop: three pieces of chocolate orange (139kcal, 7.9g fat).
- Swap: three sticks of chocolate-covered orange peel (90kcal, 3.9g fat).
- Stop: four wrapped chocolates (160kcal, 8g fat).
- Swap: four dates (116kcal, 0g fat).
- Stop: 2tbsp sour cream and chive dip (110kcal, 11.3g fat).
- Swap: 2tbsp salsa (20kcal, trace fat).
(Adapted from the NHS website )
Then you can relax, happy in the knowledge that the scales should be kinder the next day!